Paulson House

AuTrain MI 49806


Designated a Michigan Historic site in 1972, the Paulson House is open in the afternoon from 2:00 to 5:00 Sunday thru Friday during the Summer. 

The log house stands two stories with three rooms upstairs and five rooms on the first floor, including an attached kitchen, and measures out to about 1800 square feet.   The upstairs was used as a school room in the late 1880s and currently reflects that period. 

The Paulson House sheltered others during the journey from pioneer family homestead to Michigan Historic Site.  Notably, the Russell family lived in the Paulson House from the mid 1940s to mid 1950s.  Mrs Russell, the daughter of Chicago labor union organizers, was esteemed for her bread and baked goods which she sold to summer visitors staying at Au Train Lake resorts.   Mrs Russell was a hunter's guide, also. 

The Russell children attended the two room, two story Au Train School.  As a youngster, the Russell son ran a trap line, served as an Alter Boy at Saint Teresa's Catholic Mission in the village, and was a Boy Scout.












In the wagon, the daughter on the left married a farmer in Ohio and had five children. The oldest daughter, center-top, fulfilled her dream to fly as an airline stewardess, and then became a hospital administrator in Miami. The brother, right, was an Army Ranger officer and later built luxury homes in Northern California and Oregon. The youngest child had many adventures, raised quite beautiful and smart children, ran a marathon, refurbished homes with her handsome partner, and currently is the Paulson House proprietor.

At the Paulson House

Charles and Lena Paulson with their three daughters settled on Au Train Lake in 1884.   The family lived in the Marquette-Ishpeming area before selecting their Au Train Lake homestead.  Mr Paulson sailed across Au Train Lake, stepped out onto shore and determined this was the spot to build their home.  Over 100 years later, the site continues to have the best tasting well water on the lake. 

The family thrived in this setting.  Mr Paulson grew and sold cabbages in the community.  He was the Au Train Township Road Commissioner and responsible for the establishment of many area roads and bridges.  He had a gravel pit located West of the homestead and gravel still is taken from this location by the Alger County Road Commission.

One of  the three daughters, much later in her long life, described happy sunny summer days at Au Train Lake filled with picnics, picking berries and enjoying the company of friends and family.  She spoke of fierce winter storms and ice skating on frozen Au Train Lake.  She recalled watching wolves running over the frozen lake in the winter moonlight. The Paulson daughters enjoyed having classes taught in the upper story of the Paulson House and dearly loved their teacher, Miss Doucettte. 

Mr and Mrs Paulson lived at Au Train Lake until 1925 when they died within a year of each other.  The family considered the couple to be a true love match.  One Paulson daughter married and moved to the Lower Peninsula; another daughter married and moved to Limestone.  The third daughter lived in the Paulson House until her demise in the mid 1930s. 

   Snow builds up at the Paulson House.

   The children play with a puppy outside the back door of   

   the Paulson House about 1949. 

Relax in Comfort.      Sleep in Luxury.      Eat Well.